The Portage County LIFE (Local Indicators For Excellence) Report is a comprehensive overview of the quality of life in Portage County. The report seeks to identify strengths, challenges, and priorities in our community, and serves as a catalyst for community action.
Purpose of LIFE Report
- Identify community strengths, challenges and priorities that help guide and mobilize action to improve life in Portage County
- Be an effective tool in raising awareness in our community on quality of life issues to monitor trends and underlying causes
- Serve as a resource: a centralized easily accessible source of data for non-profit organizations, policy makers, government entities, faith-based organizations, foundations, corporations, residents and others
The LIFE project is guided by a 15-member Steering Committee made up of Portage County community leaders from local business, government, education, public safety and health and social service organizations. Additionally, sub-committees comprised of more than 60 volunteers serve on sub-committees spanning seven segments of our community:
- Basic Needs and Supports
- Community Safety
- Economic Environment
- Environment, Energy & Transportation
- Health and Wellness
- Community Engagement
The report includes various sources of data:
- Community Survey: A survey sent out to 4,000 randomly selected households in Portage County and a targeted survey distributed by programs that serve low income populations
- Indicators: More than 70 indicators that reflect county, state and national data
- Key Stakeholder Input: Input from key stakeholders regarding their views on priority issues in the community
Based on all the data, priority issues will be identified by the Steering Committee and other community representatives. These Calls to Action will help guide and mobilize action to improve life in Portage County.
The 2017 Portage County LIFE Report will be completed in August of 2017. To see a copy of the 2012 LIFE Report, please click the following link: 2012 LIFE Report
United Way of Portage County, St. Michael’s Hospital, Portage County Health and Human Services, Portage County Government, Aspirus, Marshfield Clinic Health System, Wisconsin Public Service, Community Foundation of Central Wisconsin, and UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
For more information, contact Angie Kellogg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-341-6740.